Europe River Cruising
River cruising emerged to introduce an entirely new concept to Europe:
that of floating hotels that journey between destinations.
For many travelers, the slow chug along the river is just the right pace for getting the lay of the land. Sitting on the top deck of a ship under brilliant blue skies, you gaze on fabled landscapes dotted with castles, villages and vineyards. A flight of stairs down, and you have all the amenities of a modern hotel — restaurants, bars, lounges, fitness facilities, spas, internet access and comfortable staterooms.
River cruises offer opportunities to step ashore in fairy tale towns and fabled cities. Immerse yourself in contemporary culture, and learn something about the history of the towns along the Continent’s greatest rivers.
The season runs March through the end of December, beginning with Tulip Time Cruises in Benelux countries and ending with Christmas Market Cruises in Hungary, Austria, and Germany.
The majority of itineraries are seven nights, though longer cruises are available. Book one year in advance, if possible, and consider cruising March through May or September through December, when the crowds are thinner and airfares may be more reasonably priced than during peak periods.
River cruising is perfect for those who want a relaxed grand tour of Europe and for cruisers who want to explore Europe beyond the coastline. River cruising presents the grandeur and charm of Europe as well as the indelible landscapes that inspired Europe’s great artists. Few things in life can beat the views of Europe over the ripples of Continent’s rivers.Some river cruisers overnight in ports and cruise during the day; others cruise during the night and tie up in port during the day. Both approaches allow for dinners ashore and late-evening strolls into town.
Most Popular Rivers, Recommended For First-Time River Cruisers
- Danube River – Region: Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Germany, Romania, Serbia and Slovakia
- Rhine River – Region: The Netherlands, France, Germany and Switzerland
- Seine River – Region: France
For Experienced Cruisers Looking To Dig Deeper Into Europe
- Bordeaux River Cruises – Region: France
- Dordogne Rive – Region: France
- Douro River – Region: Portugal and Spain
- Elbe River – Region: Germany and Czech Republic
- Main River – Region: Germany
- Moselle River – Region: France, Germany, and Luxembourg
- Po River – Region: Italy
- Rhone River – Region: France
- Saône River – Region: France